LOCATION: Altoona, PA
START DATE: October 25th, 2014
Make a Donation
We can do great things with your support!
Why are People Homeless?
The reasons for homelessness are many, death, divorce, loss of job, financial hardships, drug and alcohol issues, and emotional or mental concerns are all factors for those who stay at the Family Shelter.
Nearly 100% of those utilizing the FS have no income. Case management services are provided to assist in job training, employment, social services, and appropriate housing.
Blair County Family Shelter Services
- Safe Shelter
- 24-Hour supportive staff/counseling
- Case Management
- Information and Referral
Criteria for Admission
- Must be 18 or older unless accompanied by parent or guardian
- Must be homeless or near homeless
- Must not be intoxicated or under the influence at the time of intake
- Must be medically stable
- Must be able to comply with the program requirement
- Must be voluntarily seeking services with an expressed desire for services and willing to comply with program recommendations
- Must not be a threat to self, staff or other residents
- Must be willing to comply with house requirements and manage own daily living skills
- Must be willing to live cooperatively in a communal setting
- Mental/emotional state must be sufficiently stable for participation in program
- Must undergo a background check and have no crimes of violence or sexual crimes
- Must prove Blair County or adjacent county resident for a minimum of 90 days
Family Shelter Information
The shelter is open and staffed 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. There are NO fees to use this service.
For a hand up, not a hand out call 814-949-3778.
2700 8th Avenue
Altoona, PA 16602